RAMPS is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization with a mission to help the less fortunate by paying for and assembling modular wheelchair ramps for those people who are in need and have qualified for financial assistance.
Our vision is to empower financially qualified older adults and disabled individuals in Henrico County, Chesterfield County, and the City of Richmond, VA by giving them a safe means in and out of their homes.
The wheelchair ramps assembled by our volunteers make an immediate and permanent improvement in the lives of the recipients. The ramps increase access to regular medical care – from doctor’s appointments to dialysis. Recipients reconnect with their friends and communities and gain access to social services programs. They can sit outside in the sunshine, and go to the grocery store or the mailbox.
RAMPS was created by three Richmond, Virginia area high school students. It began as a school challenge to contribute to their community through charitable projects. Since then, over 1,300 volunteers from 27 high schools, colleges and businesses have assembled over 445 wheelchair ramps for older adults and disabled individuals who could not safely move in and out of their homes.
Board of Directors
- August Berling
- James Dowd
- Mike Dowd, Founder
- Roy Jorstad
- Dave Newton
- Will Stettinius
- Coleman Wortham, Founder
Gift Acceptance Policy
Thank you for considering supporting RampsRVA.
- RampsRVA solicits and accepts gifts that are consistent with our mission.
- Donations will generally be accepted from individuals, partnerships, corporations, foundations, government agencies, or other entities, without limitations.
- In the course of our regular fundraising activities, RampsRVA will accept donations of money, real property, personal property, stock, and in-kind services. Gifts of Stock are managed through Davenport & Company, LLC. To make a Gift of Stock, please contact Ashley D’Alessandro, 804-915-2757 or adalessandro@investdavenport.
- Certain types of gifts must be reviewed prior to acceptance due to the special liabilities they may pose for RampsRVA Examples of gifts which will be subject to review include gifts of real property, gifts of personal property, and gifts of securities.
- Please seek professional advice prior to making a gift, as while RampsRVA builds amazing wheelchair ramps, we are not able to provide advice directly to our donors, which may pose a conflict of interest.